2.01.2008

Starbuukians

So I just took a trip down memory lane, to a time when Starbucks wasn't such a hated entity and there was coffee competition. i.e. the beloved Diedrich Coffee still existed with its loving heart of a company.

So I did a stint at Starbucks, as most people tend to have their one job in the food business realm. It was probably a little simpler then, as it was prior to the Starbucks breakfast sandwich moving out of its test market of Seattle and into the mass market; and my store was a brand new store so we had the automated expresso shot machine. I am glad I didn't have to use the older espresso machines as I already have issues with carpel tunnel, but it would have been a nice experience to at least have learned to tamp the perfect shot.

To this day I remember quite a number of my morning regular's drinks. As I was posting on Casey's blog, more and more came flooding back to me. The short woman who worked at the Marriot who had a twin that would get her coffee from Diedrich, while she got hers from us at 5:45 am. As I saw her car pull up in the morning I would start her tall nonfat extra foam cappacino for her, so when she would come in it would be ready for her. Or the crazy tall woman who had to have her venti iced caramel macchiato with 9 pumps of sf vanilla syrup, 6 splendas, 2 raw sugars, 1/2 shot of decaf espresso, loads of ice. The customer I recanted to Casey had a decaf quad venti no foam non fat (140F) with a splash of cold soy 6 pumps cinnamon, 2 pump vanilla, caramel latte. I mentioned this to her as she felt obligated to get her tall, 1 pump caramel, zebra mocha with caffeine this morning as if she was doing something wrong by ordering something decaf in a coffee shop. By all means get it how you want, that is their underlying motto. I mean you can order a gift card with your drink order permantly on the card, talk about customizing.

:-)

1 comment:

Mrs. Case said...

I shall order with my head held high now.